The word on...Gates and Barriers
Gates and barriers are a great way to limit were your little bundle of joy can get to and are especially important at the top and bottom of stairs.
Barriers are generally used where you either don’t need to walk through or use infrequently, whereas gates allow you to walk through without stepping over or doing the high jump.
Measure the opening first in cm (you’d be amazed how many people use the arm measure “oh, about this wide” unfortunately to get it right we need the right dimensions!).
Gates come in a range of sizes but the standard size is usually 71cm to 82cm wide; if your opening is wider than this then an extension will need to be used and these range from 8cm to 148cm.
Gates are usually available in white, silver and sometimes black. There is also a small selection of wooden gates and barriers available.
Attaching your Gate
Most gates work on resistance against a wall or a post. This means that you do not need to screw them to the wall (however at times this is preferred). You need to make sure that you regularly tighten the fasteners (increase tension at the sides of the gate) as swinging gates over time can loosen the tensioning screw or the fasteners. Your child’s safety is the priority so check them often.
Other things to Consider:
- Do you have pets? Usually taller gates (100cm) will be more appropriate.
- Gates can come in white, black, or silver. Some timber gates are also available.
- If you are attaching to sides that have round ends you may need to use “Y” spindles - some gates have these available.
- Some gates have a auto close function, check to make sure what you need.
- Do you need older children to get through the gate? Some locks are easier to use to allow the older sibling to use the gate.
- Do you need wheel chair access? Some models have no bottom rail (these gates must be screwed or attached to the wall)
- Do you want the gates to swing both ways when opening?
|Dreambaby Std Gate Matrix:|
|Opening||Gate / Extension required|
|80cm-91cm||Gate + 9cm ext|
|89cm-100cm||Gate + 18cm ext|
|98cm-109cm||Gate + 27cm ext|
|107cm-118cm||Gate + 36cm ext|
|116cm-127cm||Gate + 45cm ext|
|125cm-136cm||Gate + 54cm ext|
|134cm-145cm||Gate + 63cm ext|
|143cm-154cm||Gate + 9cm + 63cm ext|
|143cm-154cm||Gate + 18cm + 54cm ext|
|152cm-163cm||Gate + 18cm + 63cm ext|
|152cm-163cm||Gate + 27cm + 54cm ext|
|161cm-172cm||Gate + 36cm + 54cm ext|
|170cm-181cm||Gate + 45cm + 54cm ext|
|170cm-181cm||Gate + 36cm + 63cm ext|
|171cm-182cm||Gate + 100cm ext|
|179cm-190cm||Gate + 45cm + 63cm ext|
|179cm-190cm||Gate + 54cm + 54cm ext|
|180cm-191cm||Gate + 9cm + 100cm ext|
|188cm-199cm||Gate + 54cm + 63cm ext|
|189cm-201cm||Gate + 18cm + 100cm ext|
|197cm-208cm||Gate + 63cm + 63cm ext|
|198cm-228cm||Gate + 27cm + 100cm ext|
|207cm-218cm||Gate + 36cm + 100cm ext|
|216cm-227cm||Gate + 45cm + 100cm ext|
|234cm-245cm||Gate + 63cm + 100cm ext|
|271cm-282cm||Gate + 100cm + 100cm ext|
THIS INFORMATION IS PROVIDED AS A GENERAL GUIDE ONLY. PARENTS SHOULD ALWAYS MAKE THEIR OWN ENQUIRIES.